The DPL in the FA inter League Cup



DPL go out in extra time

Herts Senior 4  Dorset Premier 2  AET

Alex Halloran opens the scoring So, the adventure is over. A disappointing end but a dodgy 25 minutes (start of the second half) cost them. For 40 minutes there was only one team in it as, playing against a strong wind, the DPL took a 2 goal lead.  Firstly Alex Halloran struck in the 8th minute and, after outplaying Herts, the DPL’s Luke Stone was brought down in the area. Stone picked himself up and proceeded to score twice. The referee ruled the first penalty, which was placed to the keeper’s right, had been with a rolling ball! This did not put off Stoner who sent the goalkeeper the wrong way again and scored in the other corner.

Fisrt he sends him one way .. then the other - Luke Stone makes it 2 from the spot

Everything was looking rosy when Simon Bleazard called at a corner and missed his punch . No one is sure whether it was an own goal, a header or a goal straight from the corner - but….Simon Bleazard calls, but doesn't collect

Having scored just prior to half time Herts started the second half with a bang and forced the DPL midfield back. They stopped playing football and resorted to long balls over the top for Stone to run on to. However, with the strength of the wind, Usain Bolt would have had difficulty trying to get to them. After an hour a cross deep into the penalty area resulted in a header looping over the defence to give Herts their equaliser and to be fair, they looked the more likely to score a winner.

So to extra time and in the first half Herts scored the all important 3rd goal - from the penalty spot. The DPL pressed but in doing so left gaps at the back. George Mapletoft clears of the line First George Mapletoft, then Richie Sands Richie Sands blocks a goal boundand Mapletoft again cleared off the line. Bleazard made one great save, going full stretch to turn the ball around the post. Sending Lewis Whytton forward left more gaps and in the dying minutes Herts took advantage and scored their 4th. So ended the dream.

Matt, his management team and the lads did the DPL proud over the season. Winning the inaugural BDH league and going slightly better than previous rep teams by getting to extra time in their semi. Congratulations to all.

Other Pics (click on photo for enlargement)

Aaron Sheard heads clear Bleazard punches clear Tom Willis gets up highest Luke Stone's strike is high wide nut not very handsome! Sheard goes to ground to clear


FA Inter League Cup - UPDATE

A 52nd minute Luke Stone goal seals Jersey's fate

DPL emerge 1-0 winners and progress into the semi-finals.

JERSEY’S defence of the FA Inter-League Cup is over after they were beaten for the second time in four years by Dorset.

At Weymouth FC, the hosts proved a tough nut to crack and ten minutes into the second half they took advantage from a stray Jersey pass to score what turned out to be the only goal of a tight game to put them into the semi-finals for the second time in their history.

Connor Jevon’s peach of a cross from the left dissected Jersey’s defence for Luke Stone to run on to and beat goalkeeper Jimmy Styles low into a corner from 15 yards. The shot was the home team’s first on target and it eventually won them the game as Jersey wasted free kicks and corners and even two mistakes from Dorset’s goalkeeper could not help the Islanders.

Six minutes remained when Jack Cannon’s curling wind-assisted effort bounced down off the underside of a crossbar before being scrambled away.

Jersey started brightly and Jamie Savory and junior Jay Giles, who together with fellow junior Fraser Barlow impressed throughout, had efforts blocked while a mistake in Jersey’s defence resulted in Chris Andrews covering well to clear danger. It was cagey and with Craig Russell and Savory working well in attack they were too often isolated as the midfield failed to push on to support the pair more.

The game’s first shot on target came in the 32nd minute when Dorset stopper Simon Bleazard dropped to the ground to smother Jack Cannon’s effort at the second attempt. Dorset were strong in the air at the back to quell Jersey’s attacks while at the other end Barlow did exceptionally well to nod the ball away with two attackers breathing down his neck. Minutes before the break Bleazard dived low to his left to push away Barlow’s goal-bound effort following good play by Savory and Cannon. Giles was then denied by a double-fisted clearance by Bleazard and two minutes later, in the 55th minutes, Dorset scored their aforementioned goal.


Andrews’ driving run ended with a good defensive block and winning a couple of free kicks in good positions Jersey totally wasted them. Jersey breathed a sigh of relief when substitute Ashley Smith fired a rising shot just over and although Jersey pushed forward, Dorset’s defensive shield proved impregnable. Jersey sent  on more firepower in Rupert Murray and Daryl Wilson as they went to three at the back and when Cannon was denied by the woodwork there was a couple of uneasy moments for the home team as Bleazard twice failed to gather the ball cleanly but Jersey were unable to capitalise.

Jersey boss Craig Culkin said: ‘It was a disappointing performance and a really disappointing result. Dorset scored with their first shot and it turned out to beat us. ‘They had a game plan, they set out to defend playing 4-5-1 and it worked for them. We gave it everything, our effort and commitment was good but at times we lacked a little quality and composure and that’s what counted in the end. We should have been a bit more determined with a couple of tackles for the goal and when the cross went it we also switched off at the back post. ‘However the response after  was very good but unfortunately we don’t have a Ross Allen like Guernsey have and in these games you need someone like him because he gets Guernsey out of some difficult situations some times. We need one of our strikers to start to be like that and we will look at the situation. We are trying to play football the right way and I thought we did really well down the left hand side and our best chances came from there. We have to credit Dorset as well because they worked their socks off and we wish them well for the rest of the tournament.’

Dorset manager Matt Morris said: ‘It wasn’t the prettiest game and in the first half it was fairly even. Conditions were very difficult for us in the second half when the wind got up and after we scored we really struggled to get out of our half. We had to play two banks of four after the goal because every time we cleared the ball it came back again very quickly. We tried to play out from the back but Jersey made it hard for us by applying a lot of pressure. We stuck to our guns; we had a job to do after the goal and we did the job really well.’

With thanks to the Jersey Evening Post

Photos by Idris Martin (

Well done to Matt and the lads.

Follow the link to see the report:

See short report on BBC Sport

The lads have made it big time!!


Haart of Kent County League 0  Dorset Premier League 1

The DPL progressed into the Quarter final of the Competition after a hard fought but deserved victory in Kent, the fact that it took until injury time to seal the win made it a nail biting watching brief. Played at the excellent home of Chatham Town FC, the DPL started well, Wood nearly created a chance in the 2nd minute after dribbling into the box however play then broke down.  In the 8th minute, following good work from Mapletoft, the resulting corner was headed on by Sheard to Jevon, however his effort was scrambled off the line and away to safety.  Whyton defended well for the DPL from a Kent corner in the 10th minute. Smith tried his luck in the 15th minute for the DPL but saw his effort go wide of the mark, Bleazard saved well for the DPL in the 24th minute when Kent threatened through Rowsley, back came the DPL and from Halloran’s free kick in the 29th minute, Jevon headed over when well placed. On 34 minutes, Bradley in the Kent goal saved bravely at Jevon’s feet to prevent the forward from scoring after he had been found by Mapletoft.  With the half almost up, Kent gave the DPL a real scare when a ball found Mallard, the striker took aim and fired a fierce shot that Bleazard tipped onto the bar superbly, and the 2nd ball was eventually cleared.

With the wind at their backs in the 2nd half, the DPL again went on the front foot,  a corner from Halloran was again scrambled off the line in the 47th minute, in the 54th minute Wood headed wide whilst moments later, after being set up by Andrews, Wood again fired wide. On 65 minutes, Bleazard again saved well this time from Kleman as Kent threatened, the lively Kleman for the hosts posed some questions of the DPL defence, who held firm, as time drew on, extra time loomed as neither side could find the goalscoring touch, on 80 minutes, Halloran saw his free kick cleared for a corner from which Sheard headed over at the far post, back came the hosts and Kleman again saw a thunderous shot parried by Bleazard in the 82nd minute. In the 89th minute, again the DPL were denied as Bradley, with the aid of his post scrambled away an effort from Wood. As the game moved into injury time, the DPL were awarded a central free kick 25yards out,  up stepped Halloran who curled the ball round the wall only to see the ball cannon down off the bar, 1 bounce and Linaker reacted the quickest to plant his header into the net, so sparking wild scenes of celebration.

Matt and all of his team did the League proud with this display, and nobody would deny them that they deserved this victory, the team spirit and desire to win were a credit and the team is still proving very hard to beat, now going 4 games without conceding a goal !! The DPL will need to be at its very best for the visit of the Cup holders Jersey in the Quarter Final, but on the evidence of this display we are more than a match for anyone.

DPL: Simon Bleazard, Richie Sands (Matt Harvey 59), George Mapletoft, Lewis Whyton, Aaron Sheard, Phil Ross ©, Kane Andrews, Alex Halloran, Joe Wood, Connor Jevon (Sean Zima 80), Ashley Smith (Adam Linaker 68) - and not forgetting Andy Knights, who travelled to Kent knowing he was to be the substitute keeper and very unlikely to get on the  pitch.


Wiltshire Football League 0  Dorset Premier League 5

4 goals from Hamworthy Rec's Joe Wood and a single strike from Poole Boro's Connor Jevon saw the DPL ease to a comfortable win over Wiltshire in the FA's Inter League Cup 1st round.

Plaudits on the evening go to Joe Wood who scored 4 times, however the whole team were a credit and at times played some really good football. On a crisp Wiltshire evening, and with Corsham’s pitch looking immaculate, both sided set off at a fast pace. The home side caused a scare in the 15th minute when a deep cross evaded everyone and was eventually cleared. Jevon dragged a shot wide in the 17th minute following an excellent ball from Halloran. Wood got a sighter of the goal in the 25thminute, however, his turn and shot went wide. The DPL were now getting on top of the hosts and on 30 minutes took the lead when Wood slotted home from inside the box; 1-0. Halloran’s corner drifted onto the Wilts bar in the 33rd minute and was scrambled away. With 5 minutes to go until half time, Wood latched onto a ball from Ross and finished neatly at the near post; 2-0.


Into the 2nd half and the DPL carried on from where they left off as they took the game to the hosts. Zanin on the wing continued to cause the home defence problems and on 49 minutes he set up Wood, who converted to complete a well-deserved hat trick; 3-0. The visitors maintained their excellent work rate and on 51 minutes the home keeper saved smartly to thwart a Woods effort. The hosts hit the side netting moments later to remind the DPL to stay concentrated. On the hour mark Halloran saw his effort flash wide and moments later his corner was met by Willis, who headed over from close range. On 65 minutes the DPL were lucky to not concede when a Wiltshire cross was uncharacteristically fumbled by Bleazard onto his post and eventually the ball was cleared. Back came the DPL and Martin, on as a sub, hit the post in the 67th minute The same player found himself one on one minutes later and, despite lifting the ball over the advancing keeper, he saw his shot go agonisingly wide. With 9 minutes to go Wood ran onto a through ball, he rounded the keeper and slotted home; 4-0. With time running out Jevon finished neatly in the box to cap of a great night’s work for the League; 5-0.


DPL: Bleazard, Leatherland (Harvey 52), Sands, Sheard, Whyton, Zanin (Martin 60), Willis, Ross ©, Halloran, Wood, Jevon.


Season Round Opponent Score
2013/14 1 Wiltshire League 5 - 0
2 Haart of Kent County League 1 - 0
3 Jersey Combination 1 - 0
Semi Hertfordshire 2 - 4 AET
2011/12 Prelim Hampshire Senior
2 - 2 AET
5 - 4 Pens
DPL disqualified for playing ineligible players
2009/10 Prelim Brighton & Hove District 3 - 0
1 Sussex County 5 - 2 AET
2 Bedfordshire 2 - 1
3 Jersey Football Combination 1 - 0
S/Final Guernsey Senior County 2 - 3
2007/08 Prelim Hampshire 1 - 2
Hampshire disqualified for playing ineligible players
1 Reading 3 - 2 AET
2 Southern Amateur 1 - 3 AET
2005/06 1 Gloucester 3 - 2
2 Guernsey Senior County 4 - 5
2003/04 1 Hampshire 3 - 1
2 South Western 0 - 1